The Bloggers Book Club

This is the no pressure book club. If you have read a great book, blog about it, and if we are interested in it we will read it and comment about it. It's that simple. See, no pressure, no monthly meetings, ah!

Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc



After the previous book I read (see post below) I really needed this book to be good. And it eventually came through. The book is broken into three parts.

Part One was a bit of a slow start. It could have been because I was so busy with the holiday's and I didn't have a lot of time to read. But once I got into it, it was really good. Sissy LeBlanc is a mom of three,with a very "colorful" past. The once, head cheerleader, in love with the high school football star, ends up erroneously married to PeeWee LeBlanc, the one time nerdy high school pip squeak, who has endured a constant struggle his whole life, to assert his manhood. The book is set in 1940 Gentry, Louisiana and I couldn't help but read this book with a thick Louisiana accent in mind.
Throughout the book, Sissy keeps coming up with little bits of wisdom which she assigns a number to and puts in "The Southern Belle's Handbook". Rule 59 was my favorite: It's okay for a woman to know her place, she just shouldn't stay there."
In Part Two, Sissy's colorful past really begins to emerge and the story gets good and juicy.
In Part Three, Sissy enacts some long over due acts of revenge but I found the ending just a tad bit predictable.
Overall I really liked this book. It took twists and turns that I didn't see coming. (Other than the end.) I totally recommend it.

1 Comments:

At Friday, January 11, 2008 5:37:00 AM, Blogger Netter said...

I read this book. I completely forgot about it. Yeah, It was pretty good, but then I'm pretty easy to please.

This reminds me...I should get my rear in gear and burn through one of my many books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home