The Bloggers Book Club

This is the no pressure book club. If you have read a great book, blog about it, and if we are interested in it we will read it and comment about it. It's that simple. See, no pressure, no monthly meetings, ah!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

In Defense Of Smut


It is my humble opinion that man/woman cannot live by Shakespeare alone. High-falutin literature is all very well, but it's like eating cavier and lobster all time ... eventually you're going to want a Big Mac.
My favourite author of trash is Mistress Of Trash Jackie Collins. She's great fun to read in a bubble bath, while eating a Hostess cupcake. Even my 75 year-old father, who idolizes John Wayne and reads Wilbur Smith and Louis L'Amour is hooked on her.
Her earlier stuff is great. Everything after about 1984 or so is crap, all ghosted formula garbage.

But if you're looking for some highly entertaining, easy on the brain, make the world go away, just plain fun trashy reading, here are my Jackie picks:

The Stud
The Bitch
The World Is Full Of Married Men
The World Is Full Of Divorced Women
Sinners
Lovers And Gamblers
Hollywood Wives

5 Comments:

At Thursday, August 31, 2006 9:37:00 AM, Blogger Netter said...

You know, I have never read anything J.C. has ever written. I picked up a few copies in the book store but I always put them back after reading the backs. I guess I always thought they wouldn't float my boat. You have me interested in checking out her early stuff. I'm always in the market for something brainless to read when I'm inbetween something a little deeper. Heck, that is why I read all the Jennifer Cruisie books. Actually, the reason I like her is that her sexual banter is right along my line of thinking. I've actually caught myself thinking the same response she wrote, before I even read what she wrote. It's kind of scary actually.

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

Jennifer Cruisie? I've never heard of her. But I'm always in the market for good smut.

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Netter said...

Well, I don't know if its GOOD smut or even really smut at all...its more like a brainless read with some good moments in them. I'll look to see if I have any left around the house or if I gave them all away. If I have some, I'll email you and if you are interested, I'll mail them to you. You can't beat hand-me-down books.

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Desperate Housewife said...

That's a great idea! But wait, I live in Canada...it would probably cost almost as much to mail a book as it would be to buy it. @#%$&!!

 
At Thursday, August 31, 2006 1:31:00 PM, Blogger Netter said...

Nah, don't worry about it...I've sent packages up there before. I'd just mail it the cheapest way, it might take forever but it would get there eventualy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home